The word “breakfast” literally means breaking the fast. After not eating for hours during the night, your first meal of the day breaks the fast, raises your blood sugar, and revs your metabolism. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day – and the most neglected. Whether people skip it or just choose poorly, most people are not getting the nutrition they need to feel good throughout the day.
Breakfast is necessary to wake your body up. You can try using coffee to fake your system out, but coffee doesn’t fuel your body like food does and it will eventually let you down.
So, now that you know how important breakfast is, here are the best and worse breakfasts, along with a few tips to boot!
TOP WORSE BREAKFASTS
- Cinnamon rolls
- Pancakes, waffles and French Toast (made with oil, butter and syrup)
- Deceiving Muffins, Coffee Cakes & Scones (although fat in muffins r better than the fat in donuts)
- Eggs with yolks (restaurants also cook them in loads of oil)
- Hashbrowns and Tatar Tots
- Omelets with real egg and cheese (and lots of oil)
Top 5 Sugary Prepackaged Breakfasts
- Pop Tarts
- Taster Strudel
- Cereal Bars
- Granola (high in fat & sugar – better used as a yogurt topping)
COMING UP on Motivation Monday:
Men’s Fitness‘ Top 5 Worse Restaurant Breakfast Food
I’ll be unveiling the top worse Restaurant breakfast food on my Monday Radio Show. Here are some hints:
- What Denny’s Meal has Over 1,160 and nearly 3,000mg sodium?
- What IHOP meal looks healthier than it is – with 920 calories & 70gm of fat?
- Which Hardee’s Monster Biscuit has a days worth of sodium AND fat in one sandwich!?
- Which McDonald’s sandwich do you want to avoid the most?
- What Sonic Breakfast Sandwich with Sausage has 51gm of fat?
We’ll post the Ustream footage after it airs from 7AM-8AM Monday on WTTB 1490 right here! Listen LIVE or on Ustream!
OR subscribe to The SideLine Radio UStream to be the first to be notified when it’s LIVE!
BEST & WORST fromNutrition Action:
Burger King the WORST breakfast fast food joint and
Einstein Bagels the BEST for serving 300 calorie bagel thin sandwiches & low fat cream cheese. Also, Einstein bagel’s cream cheese is double whipped which means it has ¼ less fat in them. 8 of the 11 flavors have HALF the fat of regular cream cheese, yet they don’t label them light or low fat.
- Dairy – yogurt & milk
- Whole Grains – oatmeal, whole grain, high fiber, low-sugar cereal, whole grain toast
- Egg Beaters, Egg Whites or Eggs with fewer yolks
- Ham steak and Turkey Sausage instead of Bacon
Skipping Breakfast Quadruples Your Chances of Obesity
4 Reasons Why:
- Breakfast fuels your body.
- Breakfast increases your metabolism.
- Breakfast keeps you sharp. (Have a good breakfast on big days, like test days & big meetings)
- Breakfast prevents overeating at lunchtime.
See all 18 Worse Breakfasts Featured in Men’s Fitness Magazine
If you want to reach your goals, you have to change your thinking. What do I mean? I mean, instead of doing what you want to do now, think ahead of where you are going and work backwards. You can’t always make decisions based on what is right in front of you. You have to look ahead and project the repercussions. Then, you can make a decision based on the projected result.
Too often we do what feels good now, but what feels good now often times has a horrible result. Being lazy feels good. Eating a cookie tastes good. Skipping a workout on a bad day is tempting. Blowing your diet when you are depressed can be comforting. All of these feel goof for the moment. But the fact is, those temporary pleasures are just that – temporary. How will they leave you feeling afterwards? If you thought you were depressed before you eat a half gallon of ice cream, how do you think you’ll feel after you eat the ice cream? THAT, my friend, is the reality.
Tomorrow most likely will come, so if you really want to make good decisions TODAY, you need to think how those decisions will affect your TOMORROW.
No regrets! #GetAfterIt
Get your Monday Motivation Today!
If you took off from eating healthy and working out yesterday, and you didn’t tune in to Motivation Monday on the Sideline Radio show yesterday, you can tune in today via Ustream.
This Week’s Topics:
- 5 Labor Day diet & fit tips
- Amateur fight update on local athletes, Dan Kedem & Travis Bass
- How to watch calories on your kids’ game days
- Volleyball starts – How to train like a volleyball star
- Motivational mantra for the week
Remember, the 1st 15 minutes is local and national sports news and the rest of the hour is all fitness and motivation! Enjoy! CLICK HERE (or the video pic below) to start.
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO HEAR?
Have a topic? We want to know what you’d like to hear. Shoot your ideas in the comments below – and please include your name and where you are from so we can mention it in our show.
Motivation Monday: How to fuel your kids for school on the Sideline Show on WTTB 1490
Today I share tips on how to make sure you kids are eating healthy at school. We talk breakfast, lunch and snacks – and packing a lunch vs lunch money. Tune in every Monday for more tips live from 7am-8am on Monday morning or at your convenience on USTREAM.
What do YOU want us to chat about next? Give us your show topic ideas!