Yesterday, I posted this statement on facebook and twitter. It got such a good response, I decided to make it one of my mantra pics – and then I got to thinking about all the excuses we make.
We come up with many lame reasons why we can’t workout but, in the end, we are making the choices we want. We want to be lazy, we want to watch TV, we prefer to be on the computer, we like to eat unhealthy food, and we want our freedom to do what we want. We choose to do many different things each day – and rarely is anyone making us do any of them.
Sure, we “have” to work – but even that is a choice. We only work to have a certain lifestyle. We don’t NEED a lot of the things we want in life, but we CHOOSE to work to attain them. Exercise will become a priority when you realize your health is more important than the best movie, the tastiest food, the greatest job, the newest car, and the latest facebook status.
TUFF TALK: Things to Think About
Many people don’t realize how exercise affects their life until they grow older, or when it’s too late. Your health affects your relationships, confidence, performance, mind, energy, and even your purpose in life. No matter what you are called to do in life, you can’t possibly do it to your best of your ability if you are unhealthy and/or overweight.
These are very harsh words, but in most cases, they are the honest truth. Although I wish our body didn’t affect us the way it did, and that we could be ok when we are heavy, but we normally can’t. And even people who once struggled with their weight, but were seemingly ok, confess they were not as OK with it as they seemed. They just settled for less than best, and that’s no way to live.
What is your goal in life? To be the best parent, to move up the corporate ladder, to serve at your church, to have a great marriage, to leave a lasting legacy? Well, let’s think about that for a moment.
- You can’t be the best mom or dad you can be if you aren’t the best you.
- How can you take care of others, when you can’t take care of yourself?
- How can you convince your children to not smoke and damage their body, when you damage yours with food?
- How good of a friend can you be if you are unhappy, unhealthy and no fun to be with?
- How do you expect your spouse to feel if you don’t even want to see your own body naked.
- You can’t treat your body how you want all your life, and expect it to treat you good back.
- It’s hard to go far in your career when energetic, healthy, fit, sharp people are competing against you.
- Inactive adults rarely grow up to be active seniors.
- How can you travel, and explore the world, if you lose your breath going up a flight of stairs.
- Material things are worthless if you aren’t healthy enough to enjoy them, and share them.
- How can you say your thankful for your life, but treat one of God’s greatest gifts to you (your body) poorly?
Your Body is a Gift.
If your car got out of shape, you’d fix it. Mostly because you’ve invested in it and you don’t want it to fall apart on you. But even more importantly, you want to use it. You didn’t buy that car for it to sit your drive way, and you want to USE your body too. You want it to be there for you when you need it most. You need it to be reliable and strong. All of those things take maintenance and work. YOU take maintenance and work – and you only get one shot so make it count. Unlike a car, you can’t trade it in on a newer model. You are stuck with you. Like it or not.
Don’t say “I will. Tomorrow”, because tomorrow may very well be too late.
How has improving your health affected you in ways you did not expect?
Got 15 minutes? How about 5?
Sure you do! You waste that amount of time creeping people’s facebooks. Well, I have good news! Steve Pfiester created a 4-week workout program for Designer Whey made up of simple fast and effective 5-minute workout segments.
Although we have a lot of people who jump right into an intense workout program without even blinking an eye, many people would rather ease their way into a program. Basic Training does just that – it builds in intensity and time each week. Plus, Basic Training is truly a basic program, meaning it’s built on simple exercises you can do at home.
Scared to commit?
Just give me 3 days!! This week’s workout is only three 5-minute workouts: Alpha, Bravo and Charlie. Below is the first 5-minute workout, Alpha. Complete the following exercises for 45 seconds on and 15 seconds off, counting each repetition as you go. Write your reps down on this Basic Training Tracking Sheet. Follow the video to get further direction.
- Push Ups
- Sit Ups
- Air Squats
- Jump Rope
Learn More about Basic Training
Join Designer Whey’s Newsletter to get more tips and workouts
Get Recipes for Designer Whey Smoothies
Get Nutrition Tips with Dr. Melina
Shop Designer Whey products
No one said the path to being fit is easy, BUT I haven’t heard one person who lost weight, and got fit, say it wasn’t worth it. It reminds me of when my parents went to Costa Rica and they told me how scary the roads were, yet those roads led them to quite a paradise. So, if our destination is so rewarding, why aren’t more people doing what it takes to get there? I believe it’s because “the gate is narrow and the path is difficult”. Scripture uses this analogy to our spiritual lives and it definitely applies to our physical lives too.
13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.” Matt. 7: 13-14
5 Reasons why more people aren’t on the narrow path:
1. People don’t find the “narrow gate” because they aren’t looking for it. It’s not like the gate to fitness isn’t in plain site. It’s just overpowered by the flashy Vegas-like signs to what the world wants you to eat, buy and try. If you want to get on the right path, you can’t always go for the obvious way – you have to purposefully seek the right way.
2. People are tempted by smooth paths. Do you want a smooth highway or a skinny narrow path on the side of a cliff? Duh?! That would be an easy answer – until they told me where the smooth highway ended: Fat & Unhappy. 😦
3. People look at the path, more than the people on it. I have not heard one person tell me the Shake weight helped them lose 50lbs – or that the ab belt got them fit, but I sure have seen some amazingly fit people who Read the rest of this entry