Guess These Abs
Who’s abs do you think these belong to? I’ll give you a few hints:
She is 44
She is a mother of Twins (did that just give it away?)
She struggles with having one very big body part
She is an entertainer, businesswoman, philanthropist, producer – and pretty much anything she wants to be.
– Answer is a the bottom of this blog 🙂
Her Fit Tips:
Imagine if that happened to us. I can tell you right now, I would have downright SCARED someone if they saw me laying out in my back yard this weekend. No make-up, hair in a knot, dorky headband and a “backyard” swim suit (which is one of those suits that is great for tanning, but not so great looking on”. lol
Well, this used to be her belly, but no more – and here’s why! Here’s how she keeps fit.
1. No Partying
2. Small Portions
3. Sugar-Free & Salt-Free Diet
4. No Alcohol
5. 8 Hours of Sleep
One last final tip:
In 2008, she signed up for a triathlon sprint to help her lose her baby weight.
6 Tips for a Tight Tummy
Before I tell you owns that six-pack, here are a few of MY ab tips:
- Keep your stomach tight. One reason we battle the bulge is because we are lazy. We don’t maintain good posture and hold our stomach in like we should. Laziness causes us to lose our resting tone in our abdominal muscles, allowing our gut to stretch out the abdominal wall. We can increase muscle tone simply by keeping our tummy tight and standing up tall.
- Limit overeating. It’s hard to hold our stomach in tight when our belly is full. When we eat large meals our stomach increases in size, pushing out against our abdominal muscles. It’s a lot easier to maintain a smaller, tighter waistline by simply eating smaller portions.
- Retrain your muscles. If you think it’s too late to get a six-pack, think again. Look at all the women who retrain their ab muscles after pregnancy. The same can happen to a beer belly too. Crunches, sit-ups and plank exercises get great results and don’t require a gym membership or equipment.
- Choose cardio that trims your waistline. Trade the bike for exercises that allow the arms to swing and the upper body to rotate. Aerobics classes, like kickboxing, are also excellent as they incorporate a lot of rotation through the mid-section. Concentrate on the ab area while exercising, maintaining good posture and tight abs throughout the exercise.
- Reduce your calories. We can do abdominal exercises until we’re blue in the face, but it won’t do a thing about the fat that’s covering our muscles. The only way to trim off the fat is to take in fewer calories than we burn. Otherwise, we will just have a six-pack under the keg.
- Don’t fall for the gimmicks. If something looks too good to be true, it probably is. Let’s face it; we can’t get a six-pack in six minutes without changing what we do in the other 1,434 minutes that fill our day.
Answer to “Guess These Abs”:
We all know Jennifer Lopez works hard to stay fit. She’s had twins and she’s had heavy spells at times, but she keeps landing back on her fit feet. I’m sure you are thinking you could be fit too with all her money and her awesome celebrity trainer Tracy Anderson, but although she may have plenty of money, I doubt she has plenty of time. Between going on tour, shooting music videos (like in this screen shot of her), judging American Idol, learning lines and starring alongside Jason Statham in the crime thriller Parker, working as executive producer of the television series The Fosters, founding her own mobile phone retail brand Viva Móvil for Latinos, working numerous charities, recording her new record, starring in a new thriller movie, doing ads for L’Oreal , launching the Jennifer Lopez Collection (a clothing and accessories line for Kohl’s with Tommy Hilfiger), promoting her new Jennifer Lopez Home Collection, promoting the new Fiat, making countless guess appearances, and, oh yeah, being a mom – and that’s not ALL she does in her 16-hour workdays!!
“Sometimes when I get home and I’m not feeling so great, I make myself go to the gym,” Jennifer Lopez said in Redbook. “Then I come home and take a shower, put on a great outfit, some makeup, tie my hair up, and I feel pepped up and great about myself.”
So if you thought you were busy, or your the only one that struggles to get to the gym, think again! Being fit is important to her, so she MAKES time for it – and that’s what we have to do too. Time will not come on it’s own. We must MAKE time. 🙂
J-Lo’s Tri Sprint FAQs & Quotes
J-Lo completed the race in 23 minutes and 38.8 seconds. Here are some of my favorite quotes from her about this experience:
“I was beached like a whale,” Lopez said on ABC’s “Good Morning America” last month. “I was watching TV, and I saw a triathlon and I said, ‘You know what? I think I could do that, that would be great for me to do. Maybe I’ll do it this year,'” she explained.
She also joked that she was determined to finish the race even if she “has to crawl across that finish line.”
“Swimming is a killer,” Lopez admitted. “I’m not going to lie.”
Everyone admires them. Everyone wants them. Everyone can have them …if they really want them. I’m talking about smokin’ hot abs.
When people talk about the hottest celebrity bodies, they show bikini shots & shirtless guys showing off their abs. You rarely see a magazine talking about how great someone’s back is, or how amazing their quads look. No, they are talking about six-packs. And although so many people wish they had them, ironically, many people don’t work them. Here are a few reasons why I believe abdominal exercises get left off the exercise check list.
5 Reasons Abs Get Neglected
1. Not enough motivation. Let’s face it, the “out of sight out of mind” mentality, oftentimes, is the driving force for what gets attention in the gym and what doesn’t. Unless you live by the water or have a pool, you probably aren’t exposing your midsection that often. So, your emphasis is improving the body parts people see the most of, like your arms, legs and butt (because a good or bad butt shows through clothes!). Then you plan a cruise or a vacation that requires swimwear and you freak because you realize just how much you’ve neglected your tummy.
2. You can’t see your abs through your fat. If you are carrying extra weight you probably can’t see your abdominal muscles. And the truth is, you can do abs until your blue in the face and you’ll never see your abs if you don’t lose the layer of fat covering them. However, you can still work them and help tighten your midsection so your stomach muscles stay tight and your core is more fit. Weak abdominal muscles allow your organs to push your stomach wall out, causing you to look even heavier than you are. So, if you can keep those abs tone, you can keep your tummy flatter.
3. Ab exercises suck. I’m sorry for the yucky word, but honestly, there is no other word for it that truly captures the pain of a brutal ab workout. Not only do they burn like mad, they literally suck the living life out of you (your breath). Since you want to minimize space in your gut while working the abs, you can only take shallow breaths. And, unlike working an isolated muscle group like biceps, abdominals are a huge muscle group and require a lot of work. The end result is they wipe you out – and you have to keep doing that over and over for days, weeks, months and sometimes years before you see the first ice cube in your six pack.
4. You like food too much. Let’s be honest here, having abs means being lean. If you love food more than you love the idea of having abs, you will never see your abs. Kelly Ripa and Kiera Knightley are prime examples of this. It’s not that they have huge abs like LL Cool J, they are just super lean. If they were holding more body fat, you wouldn’t see their abs as well as you do. However, that’s also a bit of good news too because that means you don’t have to primarily rely on a insane ab exercises to develop abs. If you diet down, you will start seeing what you already have – and I promise, you have abdominal muscles.
5. You don’t know how to work them. If you are a member of a gym, there may be 20 machines to work chest and only one or two to work the abdominals. Your abs don’t require machinery to work them effectively. Since some of the best ab exercises are done with minimal equipment, it’s up to you to learn all the ways to work them, using nothing more than a yoga mat and maybe some sort of weight. (see below!)
I admit, one of my weakest areas is my abs. I too fall victim to the above reasons why I don’t work harder on my abs and I hope to make improvements. My challenge to you is this. Purposefully schedule ab exercises in your weekly workout routine. Non-weighted crunches can be done daily. Weighted ab exercises should allow a couple of days for rest just like regular weight training. Stick with it and you will see and feel an incredible difference!
10 Ways to Crunch Your Abs into Shape
If you thought there was only one way to do a crunch, think again! Here are 10 variations that are phenomenal for sculpting your midsection. Click on the exercise to preview a demonstration video so you can give it a try yourself!
2. Bicycle Crunch
3. Bar Crunch
4. Weighted Crunch
5. Kettlebell Crunch
6. Crunch And Punch
7. Snowboarder Crunch
8. Incline Reverse Crunch
9. Take It Or Leave It Abdominal Crunch
10. Resistance Band Kneeling Crunch
Learn more incredible exercises at www.FitStudio.com
Not sure if you are doing crunches right? Here are some tips:
I think people over-think certain exercises – especially abs. Everyone’s looking for a new abdominal exercise to fixed the midsection, but half the time they aren’t even doing the basic exercises correctly, or they’re not doing them often enough to really make a difference.
Rounded back, legs up, relaxing abs between reps, pulling neck forward, & holding too much air while repping out a bunch of crunches are just a few mistakes people make all the time.
Steve Pfiester shares some foundational principles on how to get the most out of the mother of all abdominal exercises: The Crunch. He’ll teach you what to do – and what not to do. Whether you want LL Cool J abs or Jillian Michaels – you have to do them right to really work.
Read Steve’s Blog: Get Perfect Abs
Check it out – and apply the tips during your next ab workout! And don’t forget to subscribe to both of our blogs for all of our tips and news!
FEEDBACK: Who’s Got the Best Abs?
After you learn how to get the abs of your dreams, check out what celebrities made Wet Pain’s Best Abs in Hollywood list. Do you agree or disagree? Would you rather have Jennifer Aniston’s abs or Monica Brant or T.O.? Who’s abs make you drool?
Steve’s Blog: Get Perfect Abs
Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE & FOLLO!