Category Archives: Healthy Snacks
Healthy Low-Cal Snacks & Snacking Tips
If you are like me, you are always looking for a new healthy high-protein treat. So, after my shout out on twitter, I got some twitterific recipes which I’ll be sharing periodically right here!
Meet Natalie Christman
Natalie is a fitness instructor, hair stylist, licensed massage therapist, music, dance, art, wife, sister, family and motivator.
Natalie’s Protein Balls Recipe:
3tblsp- natural peanut butter
1/2c- Chocolate Protein
Mix ingredients. If too sticky add a little more protein powder until dry and clumpy. Roll into ping pong sized balls and place on wax paper. Freeze until firm.
I am SO trying these!!
To jerk or not to jerk, PART 2: You Won’t Eat Jerky but you’ll eat Chips?
This blog is about helping my fellow salty snack lovers find a solution to their snacky habits, as well as answer your questions (and I have gotten a lot of questions about sodium). EVERYONE is ALWAYS asking me what to eat – so I’m telling ya.
To follow up on my PerkyJerky review, I decided to continue researching sodium content. I compared 1 oz. of PerkyJerky to 1 oz. Baked Doritos. Results were really cool so I thought I’d share them with you! NOTE: I am not even using the highest fat, highest sodium, highest calorie snack to compare PerkyJerky too …because that’s how I roll.
2. Less Calories: Chips had 120 calories. PerkyJerky had only 50 calories! So all the taste and NO guilt!
3. More Protein: This goes without saying, but felt I should rub this in too. The chips had a measly 2gms of protein compared to 9gms in the jerky.
4. Less Carbs. Another no-brainer, but it still should be mentioned – PerkyJerky only has 2gms of carbohydrates versus 21gms of carbs in the chips.
5. Less Fat: Even though the Baked! chips are low fat, they still had 3.5gms of fat in them compared to PerkyJerky’s big fat NADA, ZILCH, ZIP, ZERO grams of fat.
Share YOUR favorite salty snacks with me (below)!
After a fantastic morning run with my BFF, Kristie, we started gabbing about our diets. She said “it seems like any bite you take you can just count on it being about 50 calories”. That not only cracked me up, hearing her say that in such a matter of fact way – like “that’s just the way it is” but it was SO true!
So often we think “I’ll have just one bite” or we have a bite or two while we cook and not even think twice about it. After doing the math, I realized that someone on a 1200 calorie diet is only allowed to have 24 BITES a DAY if they are not controlling the calories in each bite. This means, if you are just eating the same food but trying to eat less of it, you literally are going to eat LESS! OR you can rethink each bite so you can have MORE bites. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather have MORE bites with LESS calories than MORE calories and LESS bites!
So, I did a little research for ya to see exactly how each bite we take adds up – and how we can get more bites for the same amount of calories. ENJOY!
50 CALORIE BITES
1 bite of Starbucks Blueberry Scone
1 bite of a Burger King Whopper
1 bite of 1 TGI Fridays Mozzerella Stick with Sauce
1 bite of a Subway White Macadamia Nut Cookie
1 bite of Boston Market meatloaf
1 bite of Cupcake Royale Red Velvet Cupcake
1 bite of Arby’s Pecan Sticky Bun
1 bite of a Snicker’s Bar
1 bite of a KFC Honey BBQ Wing
1 bite of an Avocado
1 bite of Banana with Peanut Butter
1 bite of Cheddar Cheese
OR you can have…
50 CALORIE LOTS-OF-BITES
1. 1 Whole 3.5oz Green Apple
2. 20 Pepperidge Farms Cheddar or Pizza Flavored Gold Fish
3. 7 Sliced Large Strawberries with 2 tablespoons of Fat Free Cool Whip
4. 1 Diet Rootbeer Float with 1/4 cup light ice cream
5. 1/2 a bag of 100 Calorie Popcorn with Butter Spray
6. 43 H.K. Anderson Ultrathin Pretzel Stix
7. 14 Watermelon Balls
8. 2 Cups of Publix Classic Salad Mix with 1/2 teaspoon of Honey Roasted Sliced Almonds & Roland Balsamic Vinegar
9. 2 tps of Whipped Peanut Butter on a whole Celery Stick
10. 1 Publix Fudge Pop
11. 14 Frozen Grapes
12. 10 Teddy Graham Cookies
13. 1 Chips Ahoy Reduced Fat Chocolate Chip Cookie
14. 10 Celery Sticks with 2 tablespoon Athenos Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
15. 1 Cup of Coffee with flavored creamer
16. 1 Cup Steamed Asparagus or Broccoli
17. 7 Special K Crackers with 1 tablespoon of Cedar’s Fresh Taboule Salad at Publix
18. 1/2 banana sliced with cinnamon, drizzle of sugar-free maple syrup & 1 tsp cool whip
19. 1 small slice of Angel Food Cake
20. 1/2 Glass of Merlot
Maintaining your weight is about eating smart – but that requires a little knowledge. NO, you don’t have to go to Nutrition school to gain that knowledge. All you have to do is know how to look it up on Google! Gain freedom in knowledge and ENJOY eating without the extra pounds of fat and tight jeans!! 🙂
Like I always say “EAT what you KNOW, KNOW what you EAT“.
Disclaimer: Of course the calories are approximate depending on how big your mouth is! ha!! If I based it on Steve‘s “bites”, you could triple these numbers!! hahaha 🙂 Hope you enjoyed my blog!
LIKE MY BLOG? Don’t leave before you Subscribe, Like, Follow & Share!! 🙂