20 Gym Boo Boos
“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”
– but what if it’s not broke, but it’s not working?
As a gym owner, I see a lot of people doing some crazy stuff in the gym. I’ve witnessed people loading up a leg press machine with every plate in the gym, only to barely pump out the most shallow reps you’ve ever seen. On the other hand, I’ve watched people sling weight around like it’s nothing – and their weight was practically nothing at all. Although some people have a valid reason for their unique training style, most people are just going through the motions without really knowing what they are doing – just because they’ve always done it that way.
Whether someone is lifting too light or too heavy, what I see is a person wasting their time and money. Even if someone uses the proper weight, there are many other mistakes one can make that could prolong their results. Rest time, order of exercises, nutrition and correct form are just a few important components in a workout regimen that can be out of whack. The problem is, people are creatures of habits, and habits can be hard to break.
Not All Routines Are Good Ones
Unfortunately, we like being in a routine – even if it’s a bad one. Most of us simply don’t like change and we all tend to shy away from trying something new. We can spend years with the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” attitude. But, what if it is broke and you just don’t know it?
Since people don’t like being wrong, I’m trying a new approach to my pFIT TIPS today. Instead of sharing with you what you could do right, I’m going to point out a few things you may be doing wrong, in hopes I make you upset enough to explore making a change.
20 Most Common Fitness Mistakes
- Tracking calories going out, but not in.
- Doing cardio, but not weights.
- Doing weights, but not cardio.
- Resting too long between sets.
- Not stretching.
- Neglecting the core.
- Compromising form to lift heavy.
- Using weight that is too light.
- Never fatiguing the muscle.
- Not going through a full range of motion.
- Neglecting lower body exercises (take note bench press boys!).
- Not sticking to a regimen long enough.
- Doing the same workout too long without changing routine or resistance.
- Target training for body fat loss (fat loss happens all over, not by using an ab machine).
- Not getting enough protein.
- Doing weights on an empty stomach.
- Doing cardio on a full stomach.
- Doing cardio right before weights.
- Never trying new workouts and classes.
- Throwing money away on junk and gimmicks instead of paying a trainer to teach you how to get fit the right way.
Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but the majority of people are wanting the same thing. They want to lose body fat and improve muscle tone the most effective, efficient and affordable way possible. If that’s you, I challenge you to look for ways to improve your existing workout program and make the most of your hard work in the gym.
Posted on August 23, 2012, in Exercise & Training, PFIT TIPS and tagged common fitness mistakes, common gym mistakes, diet, diet boo boos, exercise, fitness, fitness tips, gym, weight loss, weight loss mistakes, workout, workout tips. Bookmark the permalink. 15 Comments.