WILLPOWER: The Big Fit Secret
When I think of willpower, I think of a supernatural superpower deep within someone’s soul that gives someone a unique mysterious ability to resist all temptation and wrong doing. A super inner strength to do the extraordinary.
I can stick my Face in the Hole of a super hero all I want, but I’m telling you right now – I don’t possess this wonder I speak of. When you are married to a “Steve”, who seems to have Superman Willpower, it’s easy to get discouraged as you watch those around you seemingly do the supernatural day after day. Then it hit me. Willpower is not something you HAVE, it’s something DO.
WILL – Let’s divide the words up a bit. First, look at the definition of will. As you read it, notice all the action words.
will 1 (wl)
1. The mental faculty by which one deliberately chooses or decides upon a course of action
2. a. Diligent purposefulness; determination
b. Self-control; self-discipline
1. To decide on; choose.
2. To yearn for; desire
3. To decree, dictate, or order.
4. To resolve with a forceful will; determine.
5. To induce or try to induce by sheer force of will
POWER – Let’s look at the word POWER. Again, more action words.
1. The ability or capacity to perform or act effectively.
2. Strength or force exerted or capable of being exerted; might. See Synonyms at strength.
3. The ability or official capacity to exercise control; authority.
4. Forcefulness; effectiveness
I think once we accept that willpower is not some unexplained inner strength that you are either born with or you’re not, you can then begin to make serious changes in your life. Willpower is nothing more than choosing to control one’s actions. It’s not a phenomenon. It’s not a gift. It’s a choice – and the choice is yours.
Claim today: I will CHOOSE to have POWER over my body starting today!
Posted on April 3, 2012, in Encouragement, Motivational, PFOCUS and tagged determination, diet, Encouragement, exercise, fitness, inner strength, motivation, training, weight loss, willpower. Bookmark the permalink. 5 Comments.