Motivational Monday’s Tip of the Day
It’s Motivational Monday so let’s set the pace for a successful week. So what if you screwed up on your diet this weekend. It’s history! Let’s look forward and see what we can do to make some healthy changes and break the cycle of mistakes and “backsliding”.
Let’s face it! We ALL do it! We do so well during the week and then – BAM! We get an invitation to go out and blow it! Then we sulk all weekend long about how much of a loser we are and then we eat even more. Enough is enough!! It’s time to make a permanent change. I know, we talk about it all the time. We say “I am really going to diet hard this week”, “I am really going to start training hard this week”, or “I have got to stop doing _______ and get my act together once and for all”. Sound familiar?
OK, so what’s the secret to actually doing what we say? We have to get to the root of the problem and create an attack plan.
STOP THE MISTAKES. ANSWER THESE 4 QUESTIONS:
1. When I just said “I have to stop _______” what was the first thing that came to your mind? Normally this thought happens first thing when you wake up on a Monday morning or when you are laying in bed on a Sunday night reflecting on all your mistakes over the weekend.
2. What are you continuing to do over and over that continues to sabotage your success? In my experience, we rarely make a variety mistakes – we are creatures of habit and we tend to make the same few mistakes.
3. What do you need in order to quit this repetitive behavior? Support at home? A trainer or workout partner? To forfeit eating out for a while? Quit buying certain foods?
4. Do you know in your heart if you were to change your behavior that you would succeed? If not, then you need more knowledge so you are encouraged by the facts and not discouraged by “hopes” of reaching your goal. On the other hand, if you KNOW you could succeed if you just tackled these issues, why are you letting them get in the way of your dreams? How much does that one thing mean to you really? How bad do you need those snacks or that beer? How horrible would it be to order chicken and broccoli instead of chips and salsa if you KNOW you are going to look smokin’ hot and feel amazing?! Do you really like sitting on the couch doing nothing more than feeling great in a bikini?
These are all questions you need to ask yourself so you can get a real grip on what continues to keep you from your goals. Believe me, I’m right there with you and I too will be answering these questions (below), but there comes a time when you have to draw a line in the sand and say “NO MORE” …and today’s that day.
UP CLOSE & PERSONAL – My answers to the above questions:
1. Eating poorly over the weekends. Need I say more? I think I feel so good from being so good all week that I am a little too comfortable with eating poorly. I need to stay focused on the goal and not what’s tempting me for the moment.
2. Drinking. Whether it’s soda, beer or wine, I know I’d look and feel so much better if I only drank water at night. Drinking carbonated drinks (even the diet drinks) has become a habit in the Pfiester home and is completely unnecessary. I used to NEVER drink sodas and stuff like that. If I can form a habit to drink them, I can form a habit to drink water again!
3. Support at home and when eating out. Steve can consume a lot more calories than me and afford to go crazy sometimes – I can’t. I commit to talking seriously to him about supporting my fitness goals and even holding me accountable to the point I want him to talk me out of cheating even if I beg him or feel like I deserve it. Shoot, I think I may even just ask him to start ordering for me!
4. Yes! I know good and well, which makes it even more ridiculous that I’ve chosen to live in this limbo of being fit all week and being FAT all weekend. Dumb, dumb, dumb! YES, I definitely like feeling great in a bikini MORE than I like being fat and lazy! Duh!!
Subscribe to my blog for more fitness tips and news!